Vancouver’s Summer season has officially kicked off with a weekend of hot sunny weather. I’m not a fan of heat, especially the humid kind we have here along the coast. The last place I want to be right now is anywhere near to a kitchen. Which is why this quick-to-make salad is perfect for this time of year (although I do enjoy it year-round!).
This salad is always received well because of it’s bright and punchy flavour, and is perfect for potlucks and picnics. It’s also a favourite of my coworker slash friend who regularly requests thagt I make it for our office lunches.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp + ⅛ Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp + ⅛ tsp Dijon
- 1 ½ cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp + pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp + ⅛ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ c fresh mint / parsley (or both), finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 19 oz / 562 ml chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 ¼ c crumbled feta
- ½ c pitted black olives
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- ¾ green pepper, finely diced
- Combine dressing ingredients in a large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Add salad ingredients to dressing bowl; toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate the salad until ready to eat. Gently toss again before serving.