Perfect alongside a meat and cheese platter, on top of tacos, or even in a sandwich, these pickled onions are a treat. Which is great because they take minutes to prepare and can be ready to eat within an hour or so. They’re a new favourite that I’ll be sure to make again and again. And not just because they’re a pretty pink!
Quick Picked Onions
- 3 c boiled water
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 small clove of garlic, halved
- 5 black peppercorns
- 3 small springs of thyme
- pinch of dried chili flakes
- Blanche the sliced onions by placing them in sieve, and slowly pour the boiling water over them. Set aside and allow to drain.
- In the jar you’ll be storing the onions, dissolve the sugar and salt by mixing it into the vinegar. Add remainging flavourings. Stir.
- Add the onions to the jar. Cover and gently turn the jar to distribute the flavourings. Refridgerate.
- The onions will be ready in about an hour.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.