Do you ever find yourself having bought something at the supermarket with the best intentions, only to almost immediately ask yourself, ‘now what?’.
This recently happened to me. I bought a spaghetti squash and it sat on the kitchen counter for a couple of weeks before I finally decided to cook it. I pretty much threw a bunch of things together, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed the finished dish.
Spaghetti Squash with Chicken Italian Sausage
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 lb chicken italian sausage, removed from casing
- 5 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- Parmesan cheese
- green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove and discard the seeds (I found using a large spoon worked easiest).
- Place the squash on a baking sheet, cut side facing up, and top with olive 3 tsp olive oil, dried oregano and basil.
- Bake until tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let cool until they squash is cool enough to handle.
- Using a fork, scrape the strands of squash and place in a medium bowl; discard shells.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat the remaining 2 tsp of olive oil and garlic over medium heat.
- Add the chicken italian sausage and break it apart with a spatula. Cook completely.
- Add the roasted spaghetti squash and toss to combine, then cook until everything is heated through.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese and green onions.