I often overlook beans. Which is silly, since they’re inexpensive and offer so much to our diets. Protein? Check! Fiber? Check! Antioxidants and vitamins? Check check!
An easy tasty recipe like this one for white bean dip is a nice alternative to ubiquitous hummus. It’s simple and satisfying, and I’m happy to have it in my repertoire.
White Bean Dip & Pita Chips
- 1 (15-oz) can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 c olive oil, plus 4 tablespoons
- 1/4 c (loosely packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 pitas
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the beans, garlic, lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, and parsley in a bowl. 3. Using a hand held immersion blender, pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer the bean dip to a small serving bowl.
- Cut each pita in half and then into 8 wedges.
- Arrange the pita wedges on 2 large baking sheets.
- Drizzle the remaining oil over the pitas.
- Toss and spread out the wedges evenly.
- Sprinkle with the oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until toasted and golden in color.
- Serve the pita toasts warm or at room temperature alongside the bean dip.