I made this salad for our family Easter dinner. Having never worked with fennel before, I wasn’t really sure what to expect. The result was a nice light accompaniment to a heavy holiday meal, and the combination of flavours worked perfectly with each other.
Arugula Fennel Salad
- 1 Tbsp red onion, very finely chopped
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp light-flavoured olive oil
- 6 oz baby arugula leaves, pre-washed and spun dry
- 1/2 fennel bulb, cored and very thinly sliced
- Parmesan cheese, thinly shaved
- small handful mixed seeds and/or nuts (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large salad bowl, whisk together the chopped red onion, lemon juice and Dijon until blended.
- In a small slow stream add the oil, whisking constantly, until the vinaigrette is emulsified and creamy-looking.
- Add the baby arugula, sliced fennel and mixed seeds (if using) to the salad bowl, season the salad with salt and black pepper and toss well.
- Add the Parmesan to the salad, give one more light mix and serve.