I remember the first time I ever made this. I was looking for a recipe for soup, and decided to choose one from a Jamie Olive cookbook that my sister had lent me. Stumped, I passed the cookbook to the boyfriend and asked for his input. He suggested this recipe. The name didn’t grab me, and I wasn’t really excited to try it.
Fast forward to the next day, after I had gone grocery shopping to buy what I needed and came home to make it. Lhe light curry smell in our house was amazing and I couldn’t wait to try it. It’s not the prettiest soup, i agree, but the flavour combination makes for a party in your mouth. This recipe quickly jumped into my ‘hug in a bowl’ list of favourites and I regulary make it. I have reduced some steps and dishes, but the end result is essentially the same. Plus it gives me an excuse to use my immersion blender, which is one of my favourite kitchen tools!
Sweet Potato & Chorizo Soup
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 3/4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 7 oz chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1/4 c fresh parsley (including stalks), finely chopped
- 1 3/4 litres chicken broth
- 1 rounded Tbsp madras curry powder
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 fresh Thai chili
- In a large soup pan over high heat, bring all ingredients (minus the Thai chili, salt and pepper) to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cover, simmering for 20 minutes, until the sweet potato is cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender, pulse the soup until smooth and scatter over a little finely chopped chili. Divide between your serving bowls and dive in.