Looking to elevate your weekly Taco Tuesday? Here’s a quick and easy recipe for salsa that you can make at any time of year. You don’t need to wait for tomatoes to be in peak season, as you’ll use fire-roasted tinned tomatoes instead.
The result is similar to what I’ve always enjoyed at Mexican restuarants, when they serve the complimentary tortilla chips and salsa before your meal arrives. It’s our new favourite, and I hope you enjoy it too!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 small shallots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chili, chopped (no need to remove seeds)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- salt to taste
- In a small pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the fire-roasted tomatoes and bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool, for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the cilantro and salt to taste before blitzing to desired consistency with an hand held blender.