Easy peasy, delicious and quick to make!
Basically, if I can make these almost anyone can. I’m not a baker in any stretch of the imagination. Trust me on this. One time I made chocolate chip cookies and forgot to add the flour.
- 1 c buttermilk (see Note below)
- 1/2 c light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 to 3 ½ c all purpose flour Filling:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a muffin pan or line with muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla and egg. Add the buttermilk, then the flour. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a small bowl, make the filling by combining the brown sugar, and cinnamon. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for a minute or two. Roll the dough into a 12″ by 24″ rectangle.
- Spread with butter, leaving a 1/4″ margin at the long side of dough, then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Use the rolling pin to go over the sugar/cinnamon mixture a few times to lightly press the topping into the dough.
- Roll up the dough tightly, beginning with the long side, under-tucking after each completed rollover. Cut into 12 rolls.
- Place in prepared muffin pan and bake until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes.
- Allow the muffins to cool in muffin pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.